Cain and Abel are with a Ferret and a Hamster

Friday, June 26, 2009 by BBTUNA
Well here we go again being curious..... Here is the scenario, I am in a hotel room that has free Wifi (wireless for all those that are not in the know) on a laptop that's running Windows XP (no Linux required for this one) and decide that nothing good can come from this. So I decide well I don't want to give out my MAC address but I'll use somebody elses. Why not? I scan the network using Zenmap because I'm using Windows XP; I'm going with the GUI. After getting a MAC address that I like oh 11:22:33:44:55 sounds good, I then change my MAC address using the MAC address changer (located online for free). Once that is ready I connect to the Internet, accept the agreement from the hotel room, and then receive an IP from the hotel. I'm in!

Now for the fun part. I fry up my Cain and Abel program and get to sniffing the network. Once you have pick up all targets, now its time to perform an ARP cache poison. You should now have a "man in the middle" established. Here is where the Ferret and the Hamster come into play. You start up your ferret program. Select your interface that you will be using (usually your wireless card) and now ferret should be receiving all those wonderful cookies. MMMMMM. Let it run for a while so that you may get as many cookies as possible. Now lets fire up Hamster (what this does is clone those cookies into pages). First start up a web browser and change the proxy settings to 127.0.0.1. Using a web interface you can access Hamster and select an IP, and choose a cookie/webpage (like Facebook) and be logged in as the user. Now if you wanted you could read that person's mail. Pretty scary huh. Makes you think you can't even pick you nose behind a laptop without someone recording it from you webcam (too bad its possible and will be covered in a different segment). AS A DISCLAIMER. You are by no means authorized to read other people's emails or in any way tamper with that person's property. Doing so will result in judicial punishment so be curious at your own risk.

Okay, so how do you protect yourself from such an attack. Well.....the best way to protect yourself from such attacks is to tunnel your traffic. Set up a VPN and log into you home network and surf the web. All of your traffic (cookies especially) will be encrypted and useless to the Hamster. There are a few ways of doing this like setting up a VPN connection through your router (like OpenVPN), another would be to set up VPN connection on a desktop/laptop at home to accept your incoming connection from your laptop, and the easiest way would be to download Teamviewer. Teamviewer comes with a built in VPN connection that allows you to just connect thru it to your home computer. Remember that just because its free internet doesn't mean its safe. Protect at all time.
Posted in | 0 Comments »

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me